Wednesday, October 04, 2006

You're not going to know my name, but I'm going to run the show

How many jobs and insider tracks into Iowa Democratic politics does this guy need?

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 Mason City Globe-Gazette

DES MOINES — The State Judicial Nominating Commission on Tuesday announced its three finalists for an upcoming vacancy on the Iowa Supreme Court.

The finalists are:

-- Brent Appel, 54, of Ackworth. Appel currently works in private practice at the Des Moines law firm of Wandro, Baer, & Appel. He earned his law degree in 1977 at the University of California, Berkeley. ...

The Sunday, October 1, 2006 Des Moines Register

Culver's advisers

Culver's most trusted advisers have come into his life in a variety of ways. His two campaigns for elective office - both successful runs for secretary of state - provide some advisers. Others have family ties or links with the Vilsack administration.

Some key confidants, such as former Iowa Attorney General Bonnie Campbell, trace their relationship with Culver through his father, former Sen. John Culver.

The same is true for Des Moines lawyer Brent Appel, a Culver adviser who ran Sen. Culver's 1980 campaign....

Candidate Bios, WHO TV, 2006

Staci Appel is from rural Ackworth, she is a full-time mother, community volunteer and former financial consultant. Appel is married to Brent Appel, a practicing attorney in Des Moines. They have four children: Theodore, Jacob, Isaac, and Olivia.

Staci is running to represent Senate District 37 which consists of Madison County, Warren County and a portion of Dallas County. ...

Iowa Health Foundation, 2006

Brent and Staci Appel are like most young parents with four children – busy! Theodore Appel (Teddy to his family) is 7 and loves football and dinosaurs; Jacob is 6 and is also into football as well as cars; Isaac is 3 and can tell you what every tool in the garage is and what it is for; and Olivia, 2, likes Dora the Explorer and playing with her dolls.

It’s a good thing Olivia likes to play with dolls because she might not see her parents very often with this kind of political agenda.


Comments:
Oh please, women with children should be precluded from running for public office? Do you know how many hours a week those state legs work? I'd love to work that little. Maybe she should just stay at home barefoot and pregnant while her husband brings home the bacon. What's her "political agenda"? To try to serve her state doing a job she thinks might make a positive difference? And how would you suggest becoming involved in politics? Staying as far away from people currently in politics as possible?
I'm so disappointed to see a post like this from you. It’s so misogynistic that even State is agreeing with you. I expect soon you'll be using the "C" word to describe women who have different opinions than you.
 
Bob,

I think this post was more or less directed at Brent Appel's interest in running the table in terms of being a power broker in a Democratic run state. If Chet wins and his wife wins and is in a Democratic Senate, not to mention a seat on the Iowa Supreme Court, that's a guy with a lot of chits to move around.

However, now that you bring up the kids and a life in politics, I'll say this: I'm slightly old fashioned that if you can afford to stay home with young children it's often the best option for the kids. They need at least one parent to be hanging around the house for at least some part of the day, although in this situation I am sure they have well qualified nannies to help with the kids and house work. A number of great people were raised by hired help, so their kids will turn out just fine.
 
Wow.
Well, some of us probably did have the opportunity to stay home to raise our critters, but thankfully did not. If I'd made that choice, I wouldn't have been able to divorce my scumbag ex-husband so easily, being out of the workplace and limiting my options and not having access to money and all. Plus my son gets to see that I am a responsible person with a job and a good work ethic that makes a difference in this world. Those aren't bad results. Not everyone, even people who make good money, have the choices you do. I also think that a young mother would bring a good perspective to the part-time job at the state-house, from Jan through March, and then zero-time for the rest of the year. You'll need to come up with something better than this.
 
Zero time? Ever talked to your state reps? They do a little more than zero work out of session. Constituent services and campaigning are a big part of the job.
 
Well, one child is a little different than three, four or five children.

I think you and I are on different sides of the "mommy" wars. You'll probably suggest to me that quality time is what counts with parenting, not quantity. I sort of dig math, so I'll stick with my theory that quantity matters as you're more likely to actually get a little more quality out of that quantity. Moreover, the more kids you have the more time it takes to parent.

I agree that by staying in the workforce you haven't lost ground economically or professionally, which is fortunate. In my case, that is the one thing I regret about my time at home, that everything I did without pay doesn't count.

A friend of mine is an elementary school counselor in a very upscale Des Moines area school district. She routinely sees sad and lonely kids that come from great families with highly educated parents who both work outside the home. The kids usually tell my friend that what they really want is to spend more time with their parents.

I don't know how you fix things like this. I wish work and home mixed a little better, but really they don't mix. Homes tend to encroach upon worker productivity and visa versa.

I also suggest that being a State Senator is not a part-time job. It's an enourmous amount of work with odd hours and a great deal of time away from home. The Appel's probably have the resources to hire great help, so it's not really an issue for this family, but it is a choice that they're making.

Ironic aside: blogging can be fun, sort of, but it also takes away time from my family. They don't like it; and when I take a break it's often related to their request to spend more time with them. They're not going to be living in the same house forever, well, we hope that's the case.
 
There is an extraordinary difference in the rate of socialization, and emotional temperament, of the home-schooled children (kids are small goats) and government-schooled children, that I know. The home-schooled children who receive the intellectual and emotional devotion of a parent are just years ahead. Love is something, I thought, where parsimony is a bad idea -- and quality v. quantity is the argument of parsimony v. Mae West (too much of a good thing is not enough). Single parenting exists, however (I was one) and people who haven't tried it don't understand the angst, frustration, the terrible choices one must make.

--manville
 
Accepting that there will always be political power brokers in both parties, Brent is the kind we should be thankful for. He's a good, honest man and would be an honorable justice (no pun intended). That's about the best praise that I can give any D, and more praise than I would give some of the power brokers in my own party.
 
OK, after review, I'll alter my opinion to simply sexist, and not misogynistic. But only for you, State clearly has some issues.
It's nice that you have someone in the statehouse supporting you, but are statehouse workers allowed to be on the internet all day? I think there may be an ulterior motive behind manville's comments on your and Kyle's blogs.
I disagree with you about the nature of being a good mom, but no two people are going to have the same opinion on that topic.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


WWW http://iowaennui.blogspot.com/
Who Links Here