Thursday, February 02, 2006

Counting a few of my favorite things

I haven't posted a list in a few months, and I had to figure out a way to work in the fact that I ran over a skunk on my way home from a job, my job. Yes a job, y'all probably figured that out since my posting habits have changed just a little.

The other day, someone I know mentioned that it is a good idea to think about the things in your life and count your blessings -- the favorites and the not so favorites.

The favorites

1) Kids that all of a sudden start to look like someone in the family; a sigh of relief that you left the hospital with the right 20 inch Winston Churchill. (Oh please, every newborn looks like some version of Winston Churchill.)

2) The good people in the world that I meet every day, and particularly the ones that I don't know well enough to know if they are good, but they're good just the same, elbows and all.

3) The now affordable all in one counter top ice cream makers. If you can't purchase coconut and sweet corn ice cream, well, by God, we can make it.

The not so favorites

1) Running over odiferous road kill that conveniently lodged its crushed and shredded tissue in the engine block of my car. Three car washes and it's still really bad. (Just think, in another few years we'll be able to link to digital scratch and sniff.)

2) Having to trudge after someone that has spent a very passionate life working for all sorts of good and grand things, yet somehow misses the truly good things expressed in the small, mindful gestures of the everyday. It makes for a soul worn Friday.

3) Laundry that never ends, seriously, it never ends. Something is always in the wash or the dryer or in a basket ready to be folded or put away and...Which I think brings me back to why I actually started this thing; stuff is always churning.

(Politics tomorrow, promise.)


Comments:
Laundry never ends IE. It's all about fighting entropy baby!!!
 
Words to live by, thanks.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


WWW http://iowaennui.blogspot.com/
Who Links Here