Thursday, October 27, 2005

I am woman & can occasionally squeak, that is, if the other women with delicate egos are okay with that…

In the way that only women can do it, the Iowa Women’s Foundation held their Annual Grant Awards Luncheon, or self-congratulatory pity party, in Iowa City. As reported by the Press Citizen, the keynote speaker, Marie Wilson, founder & president of The White House Project went on and on about the barriers women face in the world of politics. It’s painful reading…

More women need to be elected to public office and recognized as capable leaders if they want equal treatment in America, a women's rights leader said Wednesday.

…and inspires a big, yeah sure, whatever.

And on those 'what is she wearing', 'did she really say that', 'oh, that hair' exclamations too often voiced by other XX chromosome types not putting themselves out…

Part of the reason for the low activity of women in politics is that they have to battle stereotypes, she said. When a woman takes on a field of men in an election, her hair, outfits and shoes draw more scrutiny than her stance on issues, Wilson said.
The irony of the day, three letters to the Sioux City Journal editor with inspiring and well-constructed thoughts on the most recent Sioux City foreign policy intrigue…

I wish I could get my vacation paid for by the city taxpayers. If Mayor Karen Van De Steeg was on a business trip, she should have dressed as a businesswoman instead of blue jeans when presenting the key to Mayor Teruhito Nakamura of Yamanashi City, Japan.

That shows poor representation for the city. -- Sue Holmes

One of the first things I saw in The Journal's edition of Oct 22 is a photo of our mayor presenting a key of Sioux City to Mayor Nakamura of Yamanashi City, Japan.

To my dismay she is wearing jeans, which to me is totally inappropriate and unprofessional for such an occasion.

Whatever happened to business attire? -- Kathryn Harrison

Nice picture of Mayor Karen Van De Steeg in Saturday's Journal. Too bad she couldn't wear something nicer than blue jeans when presenting the key to the city. -- Sandra Nation

Nobody says it better than Gwen & the boys.

"Just A Girl"

Take this pink ribbon off my eyes
I'm exposed
And it's no big surprise
Don't you think I know
Exactly where I stand
This world is forcing me
To hold your hand
'Cause I'm just a girl, little 'ol me
Don't let me out of your sight
I'm just a girl, all pretty and petite
So don't let me have any rights

Oh...I've had it up to here!
The moment that I step outside
So many reasons
For me to run and hide
I can't do the little things I hold so dear
'Cause it's all those little things
That I fear

'Cause I'm just a girl I'd rather not be
'Cause they won't let me drive
Late at night I'm just a girl,
Guess I'm some kind of freak
'Cause they all sit and stare
With their eyes

I'm just a girl,
Take a good look at me
Just your typical prototype

Oh...I've had it up to here!
Oh...am I making myself clear?
I'm just a girl
I'm just a girl in the world...
That's all that you'll let me be!
I'm just a girl, living in captivity
Your rule of thumb
Makes me worry some

I'm just a girl, what's my destiny?
What I've succumbed to Is making me numb
I'm just a girl, my apologies
What I've become is so burdensome
I'm just a girl, lucky me
Twiddle-dum there's no comparison

Oh...I've had it up to!
Oh...I've had it up to!!
Oh...I've had it up to here!


Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


WWW http://iowaennui.blogspot.com/
Who Links Here