Thursday, May 26, 2005
cyn·i·cism - a list of antidotes...
cyn·i·cism () Pronunciation Key (sn-szm)
- An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others: the public cynicism aroused by governmental scandals.
- A scornfully or jadedly negative comment or act: “She arrived at a philosophy of her own, all made up of her private notations and cynicisms” (Henry James).
- Cynicism The beliefs of the ancient Cynics.
10. download as much U2, Kenny G. (just kidding), sober r.l. Jones & BNL into your iPOD
Unfortunately, things in life can happen to you or loved ones that sort of shakes down your sense of how the world is supposed to work. The sort of things that make you wonder what kind of parents these people had...And then I remember the runts from the waitressing job at the Country Club and how awful their parents were.
So, we are always in need of antidotes to cynicism, and it gives me an excuse to construct my first list. The top ten cures for a bout of the cynical blues:
9. spend uncountable hours on the treadmill with the noted iPOD attached to your head
8. weed -- pulling preferably, but it's your call
7. meditate on the genius of Napoleon
6. don't lose the will to live, just wear it
5. attend as many rookie little league games as possible
4. find the frozen custard stand where the butter fat sticks to the roof of your mouth
3. plant your flowers without your garden gloves
2. memorize and repeat the following: "it is only Other People's money"
1. try something new